After more then 10 years working on GarageSale for OS X (version 1.0 was released in November 2004), we realized that eBay, OS X aka macOS, and the expectations of our users had changed in so many ways, that GarageSale’s original architecture wouldn’t take us any further.
So we decided to start from scratch and build an entirely new GarageSale. Here are some of the most important changes:
GarageSale 7 offers a modern user interface, which helps you listing your items on eBay faster by providing instant error feedback while composing your listing. The new GarageSale Scout companion app for iOS lets you quickly take picture of your items without needing to go through Photos app or PhotoStream.
Previous GarageSale versions offered “listing templates” and “auctions” as primary objects. While this concept worked great for some users, other sellers were confused. GarageSale 7 only offers “listings” objects for tracking a listing on eBay. The main reasons for this change are explained here.
We built a custom database layer on top of Google’s LevelDB engine, that scales better for sellers with a large number of listings and orders, and also lets us update GarageSale faster than the technology we were using in older versions.
The result of all this work is GarageSale 7, which we are proudly releasing to the world today. You can download it from this link. As always, the unlicensed version is good for starting three listings on eBay.
What’s new GarageSale 7
- completely modernized interface with instant error reporting
- can import listing drafts from the GarageSale Scout app on iPhone
- a new custom database engine, which deals better with large amounts of data and allows us to adapt to eBay changes more quickly
- GarageSale 7 does away with the template/auction differentiation – it only offers listings, which can either be running or not
- a new Orders sections which shows information about purchased items and buyers
- Reports can generate diagrams in addition to text tables
- automatic update of eBay category information as needed
- listing designs are now optimized for mobile devices
- local live validation of most eBay errors in new “Preflight” panel
- listing images can be edited using image editing apps installed on your Mac and with image editing extensions
- listing images can be copied and pasted between images
- support for barcodes on the variation level
- you can copy specific settings from one listing and paste them into other listings
- added a preference setting ‘Load Flash’ to prevent Flash plugin crashes
- inventory items can be exported and imported
- you can now set the quantity of ‘Good ’til cancelled’ listings to zero to mark the item “out of stock” (you need to enable the ‘Out of Stock’ feature in your selling preferences on eBay’s website)
- when selling cars on eBay Motors or eBay UK, there is now a dedicated field for the vehicle ID (VIN or VRM)
- the ‘Import from My eBay’ command now downloads large images from existing eBay listings
- can automatically generate SKU for your variations
- added a “Reveal Original” command to the outline view context menu when a smart group item is selected. Using that command, you can easily jump to the original item of an item shown in the smart group, for instance to delete it or move it to a different folder
- return policy, payment options, and tax settings can be specified in GarageSale’s XML import format
- added support for specifying shipping insurance cost on eBay Italy and France
- added 4 new internal designs and 4 new Pro Designs in the Design Store
- when in Listing Editor mode, there’s now basic syntax highlighting and auto-completion for tags when in HTML or Markdown mode
- much more
GarageSale 7 is a paid upgrade from any previous version of GarageSale. The upgrade costs USD/EUR 19.99. Upgrade licenses are available from within GarageSale 7.
If you purchased your GarageSale 6 license after August 1st 2015, you are eligible for a free upgrade to GarageSale 7. GarageSale 7 will offer you a free license once you start the purchase flow within the application.
GarageSale 7 license is available for USD/EUR 39.99 and can be obtained from within the application. More pricing details are available here.
GarageSale is localized in English, German, Italian, and French.